Australians have responded rapidly to the appeal to aid victims of the Port Arthur massacre and their families, with almost $200,000 already pledged.
Premier Tony Rundle on Monday night started the ball rolling with a $100,000 State Government donation.
Both the Commonwealth Bank and the Trust Bank have pledged $25,000 and The Examiner and WIN Television $10,000 each.
Chairman of The Examiner Newspaper Pty Ltd Kenneth von Bibra yesterday said that the shootings had stunned the nation but had directly and tragically shattered the lives of hundreds of people.
He said that the appeal gave the community the opportunity to share their sorrow and compassion for the immediate families of the victims in a positive and tangible way.
The convener of the Port Arthur Victims' Appeal, Murray Fisher, yesterday said that the inital response had been fantastic, with many other companies and private citizens pledging their financial support over the next few days.
The Tasmanian Football League yesterday joined the campaign, announcing a co-ordinated fund-raising effort among its clubs.
The TFL will aslo observe a one-minute silence before each of its games this weekend as a mark of respect.
Donations can be left at the 1700 Commonwealth Bank branches around Australia or at the 50 Trust Bank branches in Tasmania.
All donations of $2 or more are tax-deductible.